b.11 April 1891 d.2 May 1964
MB BS Lond(1914) MD Lond(1919) DPH Oxon(1921) DTM&H Eng(1923) LMSSA(1914) MRCS LRCP(1914) MRCP(1920) FRCP(1935)
Reginald Simpson, who was orphaned at an early age, was the son of Frank Moncreiff Simpson, a wine merchant, and Lily Kate, daughter of John Urquhart, a solicitor. He was born in London and educated at Stevenage Grammar School, Epsom College and St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. From 1915 to 1919 he served in France as a battalion and field ambulance officer, and in 1920 returned to St. Bartholomew’s as chief assistant in Horder’s clinical unit, and was appointed to the staff of the East London Hospital for Children, which he was to serve for twelve years, the last three as full physician. For a time he studied tropical medicine, and after taking the diploma in 1923 was for two years a medical specialist to the Ministry of Pensions.
He then joined the Public Health Service of the London County Council as assistant medical officer in the schools health service, and in 1950 became deputy divisional officer of the boroughs of Kensington, Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham. In 1933-4 he was loaned to the Board of Education and the Ministry of Health to undertake investigations into the malnutrition of schoolchildren. During the Second World War he worked happily with the county medical officer of Cornwall to establish an efficient medical service for the local and evacuated children.
Tall and impressive, Simpson was a modest, gentle and friendly man, who applied his wide knowledge of medicine to administration of a high quality, and his keen sense of humour to the smooth running of his department. In 1935 he married Joyce, daughter of Rayner Derry Batten, M.B., an ophthalmic surgeon. They had one daughter and two sons.
Richard R Trail
[Brit.med.J., 1964, 1, 1318; Lancet, 1964, 1, 1226.]
(Volume V, page 377)
<< Back to List