b.13 July 1866 d.9 May 1936
MB BS Lond(1895) MD FRCS(1896) FRCP(1905)
Harold Batty Shaw was born at Thorner near Leeds, the third son of Edward Walker Shaw, civil engineer, of Bradford, but was brought up in New South Wales. His medical education took place at the Yorkshire College, Leeds, and University College, London. He graduated as M.B, B.S, in 1895, proceeded to the F.R.C.S. a year later, and won the Atkinson-Morley surgical scholarship in 1897. After holding house appointments in University College Hospital, however, he decided to practise as a physician, and in 1900 was elected assistant physician to the Hospital. He lectured there on therapeutics and medicine, and was made consulting physician when he retired from the active staff in 1932. He received the same honour in 1932 from the Brompton Hospital, where he had been appointed assistant physician in 1902. During the 1914-1918 War he was attached as a captain to the 3rd London General Hospital. He delivered the Goulstonian Lectures before the Royal College of Physicians in 1906, examined for the Conjoint Board and for Oxford and Leeds Universities, and published a book on Hyperpiesia and Hyperpiesis (1922). He was a man of talent in every field, a physician who made research an integral part of his life, a teacher, precise and dogmatic, who drew large crowds to his outpatient demonstrations, and an administrator who ably supervised the construction of the new University College Hospital Medical School, opened in 1907, for which he had obtained a grant of £100,000 from Sir Donald Currie, and who, as dean of the School from 1908 to 1910, planned the development of further new departments. His wife was Muriel Agnes Ellison, daughter of Rev. Patrick Watson, vicar of Earlsfield; they had one son and one daughter. He died at his home in Littlehampton.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1936; B.M.J., 1936; U.C.H. Magazine, 1936, xxi, 77]
(Volume IV, page 467)
<< Back to List