b.7 November 1801 d.10 November 1888
MB Cantab(1824) MD FRCP(1831) JP
George Shaw, son of George Shaw, a surgeon, was born at Halifax and educated at Heath, Yorkshire, and Caius College, Cambridge. After taking the M.B. in 1824 and the Cambridge Medical Licence in 1826, he began medical practice in Manchester, where he was soon appointed a lecturer in the School of Medicine and given charge of the Cholera Hospital, to which he gave outstanding service during a severe epidemic. In 1833, however, in order to be near his brother, a clergyman in Leicestershire, he moved to Leicester, where he soon established a large practice, numbering amongst his patients and friends the Duke of Rutland, Earl Howe, and the King’s physician, Sir Henry Halford. Entering fully into the medical and municipal life of the city, he founded its Literary and Philosophical Society, of which he became the first president, a post to which he was re-elected fifty years later. The Leicester Infirmary, the Leicestershire and Rutland County Lunatic Asylum, and the Wyggeston Hospital owed much to his skill and support and he was a keen churchman. He married Julia, daughter of William Humphries of Cavan, in 1832.
G H Brown
[B.M.J., 1888; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 171]
(Volume IV, page 5)
<< Back to List