b.26 September 1922 d.? 1997
MB ChB Liverp(1944) MRCP(1950) MD(1955) DTM&H(1955) FRCP(1974)
William Leyland Sanders was a consultant physician to the South Warwickshire group of hospitals, specializing in geriatrics. He was born in Hightown, in the North East, where his father, William Barwise Sanders, was a medical practitioner. He was educated at Winterdyne and Dean Close and then went on to study medicine at Liverpool University, qualifying at the end of the Second World War. He was a house surgeon at Liverpool Stanley Hospital.
Between 1945 and 1963 he served as a medical specialist in the RAMC, attaining the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He then spent two years in Indonesia, as a specialist physician and medical director of the P T Stanvac Company. On his return to the UK he was appointed to the pneumoconiosis panel of the Ministry of Social Security. From 1969 he was a consultant physician to the South Warwickshire group of hospitals, specializing in geriatrics. He was also a postgraduate clinical tutor for the Warwickshire Area Health Authority.
At the time of his election to the Fellowship of the College in 1974 he listed his interests as including photography, gardening and ornithology. He married Hilda Jean (née Stredder) in 1974 and they had one son.
(Volume X, page 430)
<< Back to List