b.1 October 1864 d.19 August 1950
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1906)
George Drummond Robinson, the son of Edward H. Robinson, M.D, was born at Kingston, Jamaica, but educated in England, at Bedford School and St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, qualifying in 1889. His first few years as a doctor were spent in junior appointments at his own Hospital and the West London Hospital, and as physician for diseases of women at St. George’s and St. James’s Dispensary. In 1896 the West London elected him assistant obstetric physician, and four years later the Westminster Hospital followed suit. He lectured on diseases of women, and in due course became consulting obstetric physician to both Hospitals. Other institutions which he served were the British Lying-In Hospital, the Western Dispensary and the West End Hospital for Nervous Diseases. He examined on his subject for the Conjoint Board and for the Universities of Cambridge, London and Wales. Drummond Robinson, although of a generation that upheld clinical teaching as of almost exclusive importance, was not unprogressive in outlook. He paid early tribute to the value of instructional films, for example. He married Constance Evelyn, daughter of Joseph Martin, J.P, in 1906 and had two daughters. He died at Royston in Hertfordshire.
G H Brown
[B.M.J., 1950; Times, 19 Aug. 1950]
(Volume IV, page 478)
<< Back to List