b.1841 d.11 June 1908
BA Oxon(1864) MA FRCS(1870) BM(1872) LSA FRCP(1886) JP
Edwin Rickards was born at Cosby, Leicestershire, the fourth son of Rev. Thomas Ascough Rickards. He was an undergraduate of St. John’s College, Oxford, and took his B.A. degree in 1864. He then studied medicine at University College, London, qualifying in 1870 and obtaining his F.R.C.S. in the same year; he graduated as B.M. in 1872. He was given resident appointments at University College Hospital and the Birmingham General Hospital, and in 1874 was elected physician to the latter, a post that he held for thirty years. He was consulting physician to the Birmingham General Dispensary from 1883 to 1903 and for a shorter period professor of materia medica at Queen’s College. Rickards in 1893 expressed the opinion that the treatment of infectious diseases would be "in the direction of vaccines, germicides, or antitoxins", and endorsed his belief by supporting the first adequately equipped bacteriological laboratory in Birmingham. About the year 1896 he married the daughter of John Archer, F.R.C.S, of Birmingham; they had no children. He died at Edgbaston.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1908; B.M.J., 1908; Plarr. ii, 224; Al.Oxon., iii, 1197]
(Volume IV, page 317)
<< Back to List