b.10 September 1861 d.10 August 1923
BA Sydney MB Lond(1887) MD(1888) MRCS FRCP(1907)
George Rennie was born in Sydney, the son of Edward A. Rennie, auditor-general of New South Wales. He was educated at Sydney Grammar School and University, winning many prizes and obtaining first-class honours in classics and natural science in 1882. His career at University College, London, where he studied medicine, was equally distinguished; he was Atchison scholar and the first Australian to gain a gold medal in the M.D. degree (1888). After graduating as M.B. in 1887, he was appointed pathologist at the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. He returned to Sydney in 1889 and became, first, assistant pathologist, and then, in 1894, assistant physician, to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He was promoted to the full staff in 1898, but after a visit to England, during which he served as clinical assistant at the National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic, he was obliged to spend a further six years as assistant physician, before being elected full physician again in 1906. He retired to the consulting staff in 1921. Rennie also gave fourteen years’ service to a voluntary mental hospital, and lectured on medicine in the University of Sydney. He edited the Australian Medical Gazette from 1901 to 1904. He died at Sydney, the leading neurologist in New South Wales. He was married and had four sons and two daughters. His brother, E. H. Rennie, was professor of chemistry in the University of Adelaide.
G H Brown
[B.M.J., 1923; Medical Journal of Australia, 25 Aug. 1923; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1924, 18]
(Volume IV, page 485)
<< Back to List