b.5 September 1861 d.9 December 1909
BSc Lond(1882) BA Cantab(1883) MB(1888) MD Lond MA Cantab FRCP(1898)
William Ransom was born at Nottingham, the eldest son of W. H. Ransom, F.R.C.P, by his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. John William Bramwell of North Shields. From Cheltenham College he entered University College, London, where he proceeded to the degree of B.Sc. in 1882. Two years earlier he had become an undergraduate of Trinity College, Cambridge, and he graduated there as B.A, with first-class honours in natural sciences, in 1883. He was then sent by the University to work in the zoological stations in Naples and at Roscoff in Brittany, and was elected a fellow of his College on his return in 1886. He now completed his medical studies at University College, London, winning two Fellowes medals for clinical medicine and graduating as M.B. in 1888. A year’s postgraduate work in London, Vienna and Halle, and the tenure of usual house appointments in University College Hospital preceded his return in 1890 to Nottingham, where he took his father’s place as physician to the General Hospital. Pulmonary tuberculosis was the principal interest of his remaining years, although he was a physician of all-round ability. He journeyed to Berlin to obtain a supply of tuberculin, newly discovered by Koch, and demonstrated its effects in the wards of the General Hospital. He helped to found the Sherwood Forest Sanatorium and served on its consulting staff. By the irony of fate he himself fell victim to the disease, and died at the relatively early age of forty-eight. Ransom married in 1898 a daughter of George Fowler, of Basford Hall, and had three children.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1909; B.M.J., 1909; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1910, 21]
(Volume IV, page 405)
<< Back to List