b.14 December 1876 d.26 November 1938
MB BS Lond(1904) MD Lond(1906) MRCS LRCP(1901) MRCP(1907) FRCP(1926)
Harold Pritchard, the son of Arthur and Maria (née Levens) Pritchard, was born in Chester. He studied medicine at Liverpool and at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, to which he returned as junior demonstrator in pathology and casualty physician after two and a half years as a house physician at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge. He then became assistant physician to the West London and Miller General Hospitals until the outbreak of war in 1914, when he joined the staff of the Duchess of Westminster’s Red Cross Hospital at Le Touquet and was commissioned as a major, R.A.M.C. In 1918 he returned home to preside over the invaliding boards of the Royal Air Force in the rank of wing commander.
On demobilisation he was appointed consulting physician to the Blackheath and Charlton Hospital and physician to the King George Hospital, Ilford, but unfortunately shortly thereafter was severely ill with abdominal trouble that necessitated several operations. Although never again really fit, he never spared himself in hospital and committee work and in private practice. A firm believer in the new clinical-pathological approach to diagnosis, he carried out his own pathological and bacteriological investigations in his rooms at Wimpole Street.
Pritchard’s charm and wise counsel brought him many friends and no enemies. He was an active member of the B.M.A., president of the West London and West Kent Medico-Chirurgical Societies, and a steady attender at meetings of the Medical Society of London. His hobbies were shooting, golf and Freemasonry. In 1917 he married Edith Margaret, daughter of Henry Ward Little, of Cove, Ecclefechan. They had one daughter and one son.
Richard R Trail
[Brit.med.J., 1938, 2, 1233 (p); Lancet, 1938, 2, 1330; West Lond. med J., 1939, 44, 94-6 (p).]
(Volume V, page 341)
<< Back to List