b.23 January 1892 d.7 March 1936
MB BS Lond(1919) MRCS LRCP(1914) MRCP(1919) FRCP(1926)
Julian Lionel Priston, the son of Engineer Rear-Admiral Robert Browne Priston and the former Rosetta Croneen, was born in Gillingham, Kent. In April 1914 he joined the medical service of the Royal Navy after qualifying from the London Hospital. Before his first sea-going appointment in August he had received the silver medal and pocket case of instruments for his efficiency in the training establishment at Haslar. From November 1914 to August 1916 he served with the Royal Marine Artillery, and after a year in H.M.S. Parker was posted to the Royal Naval Hospital at Plymouth, there showing his flair for French by winning the medal, the certificate of merit and thirty pounds in the examination in foreign languages. Two years’ service in H.M.S. Hawkins brought him a posting to the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, for experimental duties, and his work was recognised by his appointment in 1923 as assistant professor of pathology.
In 1923 his studies in venereal disease brought him the Gilbert Blane medal. His brilliance in the examination for promotion to commander resulted in a year’s seniority and in his appointment in 1926 as assistant director of medical services, which post he held for four years. In 1933, after service ashore and afloat, he became medical specialist to the Hospital at Chatham, where he died three years later at the early age of forty-four.
Priston was a quiet, retiring fellow, with a highly developed sense of duty; his meticulous care for every detail of the history and examination of his patients was evident in his excellent reports. He remained an ardent student, widely read in spite of his arduous duties, and yet could be a kindly messmate. Those who knew him well appreciated his skill as a pianist, and all his contemporaries mourned his loss as an officer who seemed destined for the highest position in the Naval Medical Service.
On 28 January 1935 he married Mary B. Meredith.
Richard R Trail
[J. roy. nav. Med. Serv., 1936, 22, 171-2.]
(Volume V, page 339)
<< Back to List