b.28 July 1871 d.1 January 1927
MA MD Cantab FRCS FRCP(1909)
Llewellyn Phillips was born at Taibach, Glamorgan, the son of James Matthias Phillips, M.D, and Mary Anne Powell, his wife. He was educated at Epsom and Caius College, Cambridge, and graduated with a first in the natural sciences tripos of 1892. He qualified from St. Bartholomew’s Hospital two years later and obtained junior appointments both there and at the Royal Free Hospital. After a few years of practice in Cardigan, he went out to Cairo to take up the post of resident surgical officer in the Kasr-el-Aini Hospital. He passed the remainder of his life in Egypt, becoming physician to that Hospital and to the Anglo-American Hospital and professor of medicine at the Cairo School of Medicine. During the 1914-1918 War, as a lieutenant-colonel in the R.A.M.C, he had command of the British Red Cross Hospital at Giza, his wife acting as matron. He was physician to the Sultan of Egypt from 1916 to 1917 and received the Orders of the Nile (third class) and the Medjidieh (third class). He died at Kasr-el-Doubara. He married in 1904 Edith Helen, daughter of Alfred Coxon, and had three daughters.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1927; B.M.J., 1927; Plarr, ii, 175; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 509]
(Volume IV, page 504)
<< Back to List