b.18 May 1836 d.23 January 1918
MA MD Cantab(1865) Hon DCL Durh Hon LLD Glasg MRCS FRCP(1873) JP
George Philipson was born in Newcastle, the third son of George Hare Philipson, J.P, who belonged to a firm of carriage builders, He served an apprenticeship locally before entering University College, London. Having qualified in 1858, he went up to Caius College, Cambridge, graduated in natural sciences in 1862, and took his degree of M.D. in 1865. He then returned to make his career in Newcastle, and was appointed pathologist at the Royal Victoria Infirmary and lecturer on pathology at the School of Medicine in 1864. He became physician to the Infirmary in 1868 and consulting physician in 1896, ultimately becoming its president. He was made a lecturer on medicine in 1872 and professor in 1876. He was Bradshaw Lecturer at the Royal College of Physicians in 1884, representative of the University of Durham (of which he became vice-chancellor) on the General Medical Council from 1892 and president of the B.M.A. in 1893. He was knighted in 1900. An excellent chairman of committees, methodical, patient and dignified, Philipson was distinguished for his old-fashioned courtesy and for his generosity.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1918; B.M.J., 1918; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 341; G. G. Turner and W. D. Arnison, The Newcastle-upon-Tyne School of Medicine, 1834-1934, 1934, 173]
(Volume IV, page 217)
<< Back to List