b.1869 d.15 October 1942
BA Toronto(1891) MD CM Toronto(1892) MD Johns Hopkins(1896) MRCS LRCP(1897) MRCP(1905) FRCP(1936)
When illness forced his retirement a few years before his death, Harold Parsons had been the distinguished chief of the chest clinics of the General and Sick Children’s Hospitals of Toronto, and had gained a world wide reputation as a founder and chief physician of its Children’s Preventorium. His parents were Benjamin Parsons, of Thornhill, and Mary Campbell, of Brockhill, Ontario. His education at Upper Canada College and Toronto University was followed by a year as house physician at the General Hospital, Toronto, his parent hospital, three years at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, with Sir William Osier, and studies in Germany and England. This brought him lectureships at the Women’s College Hospital and Trinity Medical College in 1898, and the appointment of assistant physician to the University in 1906.
After four years in England and Salonika with the Canadian Army Medical Corps he was recalled in 1918 as consultant on the staff of the director general, and from 1920 to 1924 was consultant to the Department of Soldiers’ Re-Establishment. It followed that he acquired a large practice and was honoured by the presidency of the Aesculapian Club in 1928 and the charter fellowship of the Academy of Medicine, Toronto. Yet in this busy life he found time for his recreations of golf and yachting; he was a member of the York Yachting Club and a life member of the Canadian Yacht Club.
By his wife, Mary Haggarty, he had one son.
Richard R Trail
[Bull. Acad. Med. Toronto, 1942-3,16, 69; Canad. med. Ass. J., 1942, 47, 600; Evening Telegram, Toronto, 16 Oct. 1942.]
(Volume V, page 319)
<< Back to List