Lives of the fellows

Frederick Stephen Palmer

b.1847 d.21 April 1926
MD Durh MRCS LSA FRCP(1911)

Frederick Palmer was the son of Henry Smith Palmer, a doctor practising at East Sheen in Surrey. He received his medical education at the Westminster Hospital, where he qualified in 1869 and afterwards acted as house surgeon. Then, after four years as resident medical officer at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, he settled in practice at East Sheen. In 1901, at an unusually advanced age, he decided to set up as a consultant in London. He obtained clinical assistantships at the Hospital for Sick Children, the National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic, and the West End Hospital for Diseases of the Nervous System, and in 1904 was elected physician to the last of these. He was made consulting physician when he retired seventeen years later, and also served as physician to the Hostel of St. Luke and the Royal Society of Musicians. Palmer’s main interests outside his work were music, history, and biography. He married Mary Georgiana, daughter of Charles Edward Fry of Compton Bishop, Somerset, and had one daughter.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1926; B.M.J., 1926]

(Volume IV, page 519)

<< Back to List