b.19 November 1848 d.8 February 1937
MB ChB Lond(1871) MD Lond(1879) Hon LLD Liverp(1934) MRCS(1870) LRCP(1871) MRCP(1883) FRCP(1927) JP(1890)
William Paget-Tomlinson, born William Paget, at Forton, near Lancaster, was the son of Thomas Paget. He was educated at the Liverpool School of Medicine, at University College, London, and then for a time in Berlin and Vienna before he entered general practice at Blundellsands, near Liverpool. In 1889, on the death of a relative, Miss Elizabeth Tomlinson, he changed his name to Paget-Tomlinson and became a landowner in Westmorland, Yorkshire and Lancashire. To him this was the loss of a loved practice; to Westmorland it proved a great gain, for he applied his medical knowledge to local government and social service with outstanding success.
In 1890 he became a magistrate and in 1897 High Sheriff. In 1896 he was elected to Westmorland County Council, and in the next twenty years served on several of its committees. He was chairman of the Agricultural and Diseases of Animals Committee, which under his persuasive guidance did excellent work on anthrax and bovine tuberculosis. For close on thirty years he was active in the new Committee for School Medical Inspection; it was his gift of funds for an experimental trial of dental care for two years of all children of the Kirkby Lonsdale Elementary School that led to the whole-time appointment of a dental surgeon.
In 1900 he was the co-founder with Dr W. Rushton-Parker of the Westmorland Sanatorium at Meathop, the first sanatorium for the poor in England. An intense lover of music he was choirmaster of the parish church and president of the Choral Society of Kirkby Lonsdale.
This gentle and sympathetic man, who loved children and animals and was admired and respected by his colleagues and his tenants, was indeed as worthy of the gifts made him on his eightieth birthday, and of the LL.D, conferred on him by Liverpool University in 1934 as he had been of his Fellowship of the College in 1927. In 1874 he married Margaret, daughter of Dr J. Llewellyn Price, of Standish. They had three sons and one daughter.
[Brit.med.J., 1937, 1, 420-21; Lancet, 1937, 1, 485-6; Westmorland Gazette, 24 Nov. 1928; 13 Feb. 1937 (p).]
(Volume V, page 315)
<< Back to List