b.17 March 1907 d.7 February 1979
MRCS LRCP(1930) MB BS Lond(1931) MD(1933) MRCP(1933) DCH(1938) FRCP(1968) JP(1960)
Pat Page was paediatrician to the Nottingham hospitals. He was born in Plymouth, the son of Alfred Matthew Page, Fleet surgeon RN, and his wife Susan, daughter of John Thomas Menzies, a wine merchant and shipper. He was educated at Bedford School and St Bartholomew’s Hospital, where his father had been before him. After house appointments at Bart’s and elsewhere, he became resident medical officer at the Royal Masonic Hospital and in 1936 was appointed medical director and physician at the City General Hospital, Leicester. He became increasingly interested in paediatrics and took the DCH in 1938.
In 1947 he was appointed consultant paediatrician to the Nottingham hospitals. He was to retain this appointment until he retired, building up an excellent paediatric service at Nottingham, and serving on the staff of the Children’s, Women’s, City, and Highbury hospitals. He retired in 1973 with emeritus appointment to the Nottingham hospitals. He was also paediatrician to the Spastics Society.
Pat Page’s interest in children was reflected in his work for the juvenile courts; he was appointed a JP in 1960, and was vice-chairman of the Nottingham Juvenile Court. He built up a large private practice in and around Nottingham and after retirement from the NHS continued to see his patients in their own homes. He was chairman of the Nottingham Division of the BMA in 1961, and president of the Nottinghamshire Branch BMA in 1968. From 1956 to 1966 he was president of the Sheffield Regional Paediatric Society. He was also a Freemason of many years’ standing with the Leicester and Nottingham lodges.
He was married twice: in 1937 to Olive Frances, who died; and in 1965 to Georgina, daughter of George Ward, a shoe manufacturer. He had a son and a stepdaughter. His hobbies included fly fishing and he was vice-president of the Nottingham Fly Fishing Club, and a member of the London Fly Fishers Club. He was a most amusing companion, full of wit and charm, and had a host of friends.
Sir Gordon Wolstenholme
[Brit.med.J., 1979, 1, 763]
(Volume VII, page 441)
<< Back to List