b.31 October 1858 d.24 February 1939
BART MD Lond MRCS LSA FRCP(1896)
Hugh Beevor was the second son of Sir Thomas Beevor, fourth baronet, of Hargham Hall near Norwich; his grandfather, the third baronet, was a disciple of Cobbett’s and liked to be known as " Citizen Beevor He went to school at Felsted and studied medicine at King’s College, London. After qualifying in 1882, he held junior appointments at King’s College Hospital, Queen Charlotte’s Lying-In Hospital and the Norwich Dispensary. He was elected assistant physician to King’s College Hospital in 1890, physician in 1899 and consulting physician in 1914, and served as dean of the medical department from 1896 to 1898. He was also on the staff of the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. He represented the Society of Apothecaries in the General Medical Council from 1900 to 1910. On the formation of the Territorial Army, he received a commission as major on the staff of the 4th London General Hospital. Beevor, who succeeded his father in the baronetcy in 1885, was a lover of the countryside and an authority on trees and birds, and, after he retired in 1914, devoted himself to these interests, travelling far and wide in search of rare trees and shrubs. He was a member of the Norfolk County Council from 1913 to 1931. He married in 1895 Emily, daughter of Sir William Foster, second baronet, and had a son and a daughter.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1939; B.M.J., 1939; Times, 27 Feb. 1939; Lyle, 336]
(Volume IV, page 384)
<< Back to List