b.31 January 1815 d.3 December 1902
MD St And MRCS LSA FRCP(1857)
Henry Oldham, a native of Tooting, was a student of Guy’s Hospital. After he had qualified in 1837, he started to practise in London. His first major appointment occurred twelve years later when he was made physician-accoucheur and lecturer on midwifery at Guy’s. In the next two decades — a period of notable progress and development for Guy’s — Oldham earned a high reputation as an eloquent and persuasive lecturer. He was also responsible for introducing the microscope to the Hospital and was an early contributor to its Reports. He performed a wholly successful Caesarean section with chloroform in 1850. He was one of the creators of the Obstetrical Society of London and filled the offices of treasurer and president. Oldham resigned his position at Guy’s in 1869, and retired to Bournemouth some twenty years before his death.
G H Brown
[Guy's Hospital Gazette, 1902, N.S., xvi, 505; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1903, 29]
(Volume IV, page 89)
<< Back to List