Lives of the fellows

William Murray

b.1839 d.2 October 1920
MD Durh MRCS LSA FRCP(1872)

William Murray was the son of George Murray of Chester-le-Street, and was educated at Durham School. His medical training took place at Edinburgh, Newcastle, University College, London, and Paris. He qualified in 1859 and was then given house appointments at University College Hospital. Returning to Newcastle, he lectured on physiology at the School of Medicine from 1864 to 1878 and obtained appointments at the Newcastle Dispensary, the Fever Hospital, and the Hospital for Sick Children, of which he was a founder. His practice was mainly in women’s and children’s diseases, but he was also known as one of the first to treat abdominal aneurysm successfully by pressure, and his Rough Notes on Remedies (1893) reached a sixth edition. Murray was a man of strong personality. He gave religious addresses to workmen at a local factory in their dinner-hour, and founded branches of the Y.M.C.A. at Newcastle and Durham. Shooting and fishing were his recreations and after retiring in 1913 he lived close to his favourite river, the Eden. He married, firstly, in 1864 Frances Mary, daughter of Giles Redmayne of Brathy Hall, Ambleside, by whom he had three sons and three daughters. One of the sons was G. R. Murray, F.R.C.P. His second marriage, in 1885, was to the widow of Colonel A. Lecton-Blenkinsopp, by whom he had two daughters. He died at Longtown, Cumberland.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1920; B.M.J., 1920]

(Volume IV, page 205)

<< Back to List