b.20 June 1865 d.21 September 1939
MA MD Cantab MD Hon DCL Durh Hon MD Dubl MRCS FRCP(1898) DL
George Murray was born at Newcastle, the son of William Murray, F.R.C.P. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, being placed in the first class of the natural sciences tripos of 1886. He qualified in medicine at University College London, in 1888, receiving the Fellowes gold medal in the same year, and completed his training with visits to Berlin and Paris. He acted as house physician in University College Hospital before starting practice in his native city, where he was appointed in 1891 pathologist to the Hospital for Sick Children and lecturer on bacteriology at Durham University. In 1891, too, he made his reputation by being the first to treat myxoedema with thyroid extract given by injection. In 1893 he was made Heath professor of comparative pathology in the University and in 1898 physician to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Newcastle. He relinquished both appointments in 1908 when he was chosen to fill the chair of medicine at Manchester University, which carried with it the office of physician to the Manchester Royal Infirmary. In the 1914—1918 War he served with the 2nd Western General and 57th General Hospitals, and from 1918 to 1919 as consulting physician, with the rank of colonel, to the British forces in Italy. He was a member of the Medical Research Council from 1916 to 1918. He was a contributor to Quain’s Dictionary and Allbutt’s System of Medicine, and at the Royal College of Physicians delivered the Goulstonian Lectures in 1899 and the Bradshaw Lecture in 1905. He resigned his offices at Manchester in 1925, and in retirement lived at Mobberley in Cheshire. Murray was a man of high ability and unassuming friendliness — qualities which effectively dispelled the opposition to his appointment at Manchester in 1908. He married in 1892 Annie, daughter of Edward Robert Bickersteth of Liverpool, and had three sons and one daughter. He died at Mobberley.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1939; B.M.J., 1939; Times, 23 Sept. 1939; D.N.B., 1931-40, 638]
(Volume IV, page 403)
<< Back to List