Lives of the fellows

Edward Penistan Morley

b.13 August 1912 d.19 September 1979
BA Cantab(1936) MRCS LRCP(1939) MB BChir(1939) MRCP(1947) FRCP(1969)

Edward Morley was physician emeritus to the Lincoln Group of hospitals. He was born at Barton-on-Humber, Lincolnshire, the son of Edwin Bertram Morley, a medical practitioner, and his wife Ada Mary, daughter of Alfred Dixey, a tea importer. He was educated at Mill Hill School and Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and was the fourth generation of medical practitioners in his family; his greatgrandfather, grandfather and father having all been in practice at Barton-on-Humber.

He qualified at the London Hospital in 1939 and after house appointments at Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield, joined the RAMC. From 1942 to 1945 he served in military hospitals in India. On his return home after demobilization he held junior posts as supernumerary registrar at the London Victoria Park, and National Hospital, Queen Square. At the latter he developed a special interest in neurology, and just before the introduction of the NHS he joined the consultant staff at Lincoln County Hospital and John Coupland Hospital, Gainsborough. His early days at Lincoln coincided with the period of annual poliomyelitis outbreaks, and he assumed responsibility for the organization and care of these patients. He was interested in the whole of general medicine as well as neurology, and it was largely due to his efforts that a coronary care unit was set up at Lincoln when this was something of an innovation in peripheral hospitals.

In 1947 he married Joyce Frances, daughter of Albert George Bower, an engineer. Their two children, a son and a daughter, were both adopted. Outside his profession his main interests, apart from his family, were sailing and rugby football; he played for the Old Millhillians, London Hospital and United Hospitals, and occasionally for Cambridge. He was president of Cambridge University Medical Society in 1936. His book Pins and Needles was published by Medical Press in 1956.

A kind and conscientious man, Edward Morley was known as ‘the doctors’ doctor’ for he was the one to whom his colleagues turned for advice when they, or their families, were in trouble. During his last illness his main desire was to save his colleagues the embarrassment of their own helplessness. He derived much comfort from his family and from a renewal of an early interest in painting.

Sir Gordon Wolstenholme
Valérie Luniewska

[Brit.med.J., 1979, 2, 1592]

(Volume VII, page 413)

<< Back to List