b.10 January 1817 d.18 May 1891
BA Oxon(1839) BM(1844) DM FRCP(1848)
Henry Monro was the son of Edward Thomas Monro, F.R.C.P, and grandson of Thomas Monro, F.R.C.P, who had been the patron of many young artists, including Girtin and Turner, and who was himself an artist of considerable merit. Monro was educated at Harrow and Oriel College, Oxford, where he took his B.A. degree in 1839. He proceeded to his B.M. five years later, after studying medicine at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. He was the fifth in succession of a family of doctors to practise in mental derangement, and for many years was associated with St. Luke’s Hospital. In 1864 he was elected president of the Medico-Psychological Association. At the Royal College of Physicians he was a Censor. Like his grandfather, he was an amateur painter, and he presented to the College a self-portrait in oils as well as portraits of some of his medical forebears. He married Jane, daughter of Sir William Russell, Bart, in 1842, and left several children.
G H Brown
[B.M.J., 1891; D.N.B., xxxviii, 186; Al.Oxon., iii, 969]
(Volume IV, page 52)
<< Back to List