Lives of the fellows

Raymond Andrew Moir

b.19 April 1919 d.19 January 1984
MRCS LRCP(1941) MB BS Lond(1941) MRCP(1942) MD(1951) FRCP(1970)

Raymond Moir was born at Chatham, Kent, the son of Andrew William Moir, civil servant, and his wife Louisa Irene, daughter of Roger Muncey, a farmer. He received his early education at Sir Joseph Williamson’s Mathematical School, Rochester, where he distinguished himself by his academic brilliance and his considerable ability as a wicket keeper of the school cricket eleven. From there he proceeded to King’s College Hospital, London, obtaining the MRCS LRCP and MB BS in 1941. He became a member of the College in 1942 and a Fellow in 1970.

At King’s he held various house appointments, was appointed RMO, and then there followed a brief period as assistant medical registrar before he joined the Army in August 1942, where he served as a medical specialist. As consultant physician to Western Command he rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel. On demobilization in 1947 he was appointed assistant physician to St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Rochester, and on the inception of the NHS he became senior hospital medical officer to the Medway and Gravesend Group of hospitals. His appointment was regraded to consultant physician in 1952. He served as a member of the old hospital management committee, and later as chairman of the medical executive committee. His principal interest was rheumatology.

He first married when very young and the marriage was subsequently dissolved. In 1948 he married Dora Winifred, daughter of Frederick Henry Kirkton, a master printer, and they had two sons and a daughter. Raymond was a man of wide interests but very few intimate friends. He was very widely read and keenly interested in classical music. He was also a keen Freemason, being first master and then a master of ceremony of the Pentangle Lodge, Rochester, where he was highly esteemed. His memory was prodigious, and according to local practitioners he could remember details of individual patients long after he had last seen them.

Towards the end of his life his health failed and he entered Guy’s Hospital cardiac unit early in 1983. Shortly after his return home he had to be admitted to the intensive care unit at the Medway Hospital, following a haematemesis which proved to be due to oesophageal varices. He died in King’s College Hospital the following January. He was survived by his wife and family.

J Donaldson Craig
Sir Gordon Wolstenholme
V Luniewska

(Volume VIII, page 349)

<< Back to List