Lives of the fellows

Reginald Henry Miller

b.1879 d.23 December 1948
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1917)

The son of Dr. Andrew Miller of Hampstead, Reginald Miller was educated at Charterhouse and St. Mary’s Hospital, qualifying in 1904. After a period as house physician at St. Mary’s, he held a registrar’s appointment at the Hospital for Sick Children for two years, 1906-1908. In 1910 he was elected an assistant physician at St. Mary’s, where he lectured, first on pharmacology and therapeutics, and subsequently on children’s diseases, and where in time he became a consulting physician. His other main association was with the Paddington Green Children’s Hospital, for which he organised the first supervisory rheumatic clinic for children in London. He was also visitor for Middlesex under the Mental Deficiency Acts. The criticism which met his first major work, The Medical Diseases of Children (1911) — on the grounds that it lacked originality — so distressed him that he published little thereafter. However, he edited the Archives of Diseases in Childhood with Hugh Thursfield, from its inauguration in 1926 until 1933. On the outbreak of war in 1939, he became medical director of the Park Prewett General Hospital at Basingstoke. Miller was a paediatrician of the older school, whose ability belied the apparent lethargy of his huge ambling figure, and did outstanding work on coeliac disease, duodenal ileus and rheumatic fever. His manner inspired his young patients with immediate confidence but, to his fellows, the wit which punctuated his customary shyness seemed at times to degenerate into sarcasm. He was a devout Roman Catholic, ascetic in his habits and obsessed with tidiness. He was twice married, his second wife being Dr. Dorothy Gilford. He died in St. Mary’s Hospital.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1949; B.M.J., 1949; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1949, 15]

(Volume IV, page 553)

<< Back to List