Lives of the fellows

Charles Hewitt Miller

b.17 May 1875 d.29 August 1939
CBE BA Cantab(1897) MA MD MRCS FRCP(1916)

Charles Miller was born at Eccles, Lancashire, the son of Charles James Miller of Manchester. From Rugby he went up to Trinity College, Cambridge, to read natural sciences and, having taken his B.A. degree in 1897, he studied medicine at the London Hospital. Qualifying in 1901, he passed through the usual resident appointments in the Hospital and acted as director of its pathological institute from 1905 to 1907. He became assistant physician to the Victoria Hospital for Children in 1906, to the Metropolitan Hospital in 1909, to the Brompton Hospital in 1912, and to the London Hospital in 1913. During the War of 1914-1918 he served first in a hospital attached to Netley and then as a consulting physician to the British Expeditionary Force, with the rank of colonel, receiving the C.B.E. on demobilisation. He delivered the Goulstonian Lectures at the Royal College of Physicians in 1917. In 1920 he took charge of the new medical professorial unit at the London Hospital. Resigning this position in 1924, he started afresh in Exeter, becoming firstly assistant physician, and then physician, to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. An attack of coronary thrombosis obliged him to give up his busy practice in 1929. But some eighteen months later he resumed work, on a reduced scale, in London, and in 1937 he was able to accept an invitation to become senior physician to University College Hospital, where a succession of retirements had left the consulting staff short of experienced men. Miller was a sound clinician who lived up to the high standards that he exacted from his students and subordinates. Rugby football in his younger days, and later salmon-fishing and skiing, were among his favourite recreations. He married in 1908 Phyllis, daughter of Percy Tarbutt, and had two daughters. He died at his home near Maidenhead.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1939; B.M.J., 1939]

(Volume IV, page 549)

<< Back to List