Lives of the fellows

Alfred Meadows

b.2 June 1833 d.19 April 1887
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1873) JP

Alfred Meadows was born at Ipswich, the fourth child of Charles Meadows, and educated at Ipswich Grammar School and King’s College, London. After qualifying in 1856 and serving in house appointments at King’s College Hospital, he established himself in practice and became physician-accoucheur to the St. George’s and St. James’s Dispensary. From 1860 to 1863 he was assistant physician for the diseases of women and children at King’s College Hospital, and from 1865 to 1874 physician to the Hospital for Women, Soho Square. He was also physician-accoucheur to the General Lying-In Hospital. His most important appointments, however, were those of physician-accoucheur and lecturer on midwifery to St. Mary’s Hospital, which he held from 1871 until his death. Meadows was held in high repute in the profession and his Prescriber's Companion (1864) and Manual of Midwifery (1871) made his name known to teachers and students throughout the country. He became editor of the London Medical Review in 1861 and edited the second edition of T. H. Tanner’s textbook on the Diseases of Children in 1871. In 1884 he was unanimously elected the first president of the Gynaecological Society. Meadows was a strong supporter of the fraternity of medical men known as the Guild of St. Luke’s and an eminent freemason, being a founder and master of the University of London Lodge. He received a Swedish honour for his services to the Crown Prince in 1878. Religious by nature, Conservative in politics, he was endowed both with business ability and artistic sensibility. He was survived by his widow and daughter.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1887; B.M.J., 1887; Lyle, 125; D.N.B., xxxvii, 189]

(Volume IV, page 215)

<< Back to List