Lives of the fellows

Robert Martin

b.29 August 1817 d.13 May 1891
MB Cantab(1851) MD FRCP(1859)

Robert Martin was born at Pulborough in Sussex, the son of Peter John Martin, who, like his father before him, was in general practice there. He was educated at Clapham Grammar School and Caius College, Cambridge, where he was Tancred student and captain of the boat club. After a period at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, he graduated as M.B. at Cambridge in 1851 and then continued his studies at Göttingen, Vienna and Paris. In 1854 he was elected lecturer on natural philosophy and then assistant physician to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, but was almost at once sent out, with other young physicians and surgeons, to take charge of the Civil Hospital at Smyrna for sick and wounded soldiers from the Crimea. On his return to London in 1856, he became warden of the College at St. Bartholomew’s and anaesthetist—or administrator of chloroform, as it was then called—to the Hospital, and in 1861 lecturer on forensic medicine. In 1865 he was made a full physician but, two years afterwards, owing to ill health, he was obliged to resign. However, he held the office of Censor of the Royal College of Physicians subsequently. He died in London.

G H Brown

[B.M.J., 1891; Moore, ii, 568; Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 275]

(Volume IV, page 112)

<< Back to List