Lives of the fellows

William Orlando Markham

b.1818 d.23 January 1891
MD Edin FRCP(1854) Hon FRCPI

William Markham was the son of Charles Markham, Clerk of the Peace for Northampton. He received his medical education at Edinburgh, Paris, and Heidelberg, and took the Edinburgh degree in 1840. After holding appointments at the Blenheim Street and Western General Dispensaries in London, he was elected, at its opening in 1851, assistant physician to St. Mary’s Hospital and, six years later, full physician. He was lecturer on pathology from 1854 to 1860 and on physiology from 1857 to 1860. Then in 1861 he became editor of the British Medical Journal, a post which he held for five years before being appointed a Poor Law inspector and medical adviser to the Poor Law Board. His chief interest was in cardiology and his Diseases of the Heart (1856), perhaps the first work to distinguish the characteristic physical signs of mitral stenosis, was accepted as authoritative and went into a second edition. He was Goulstonian Lecturer in 1864 at the Royal College of Physicians. Markham was a man of considerable private means and, when his health began to fail in 1870, was able to retire in comfort.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1891; B.M.J., 1891]

(Volume IV, page 75)

<< Back to List