b.29 September 1916 d.24 September 1996
MRCS LRCP(1941) MB BS Lond(1944) DCH(1948) MD(1948) MRCP(1948) FRCP(1964)
Trevor Mann was a consultant paediatrician who worked in the Sussex area. He was educated at Alleyn’s School. He went on to St Mary’s Hospital, London, qualifying in 1941. He became a house physician at Hammersmith Hospital, then joined the RNVR and served for four years on destroyers in the Atlantic and on an aircraft carrier with the Russian convoys.
Following demobilization he returned to Hammersmith as house physician to the children’s department, later becoming a streptomycin registrar, working for the Medical Research Council. Antibiotics had just been made available for the treatment of tuberculous meningitis and its use was being controlled and monitored. In 1947 he was appointed as a paediatric registrar at Great Ormond Street and a year later became first assistant to Alan Moncrieff [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VI, p.343], Nuffield Professor of Child Health. Much of his time was spent in the newly established premature baby unit at Hammersmith and in the care of the new-born in the maternity wards.
In 1951 he was appointed as a consultant paediatrician to the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children at Brighton. The post also involved working in other hospitals in the mid-Sussex area. He was fortunate to find that the Royal Alexandra Hospital was a going concern, but the time was ripe for developing paediatric services in the area. Under his direction the hospital soon achieved a high reputation. At the same time he maintained close links with London, arranging for joint peripheral clinics and initiating a department of paediatric and neo-natal surgery.
He took an active part in the affairs of the British Paediatric Association, serving as a member of the council and on the academic board. He was also a regular participant at meetings of the Royal Society of Medicine. He became president of the section of paediatrics, his inaugural address being on the subject of toys for disabled children. He founded a toy library in Brighton and also initiated the Rocking Horse Appeal to raise funds for research. On his retirement the intensive care baby unit at the Royal Alexandra Hospital was named after him.
He published over fifty papers on a wide variety of topics, most of which reflected his early interest and experience with the new-born. He also published a book on facial diagnosis.
He continued his interest in and love of the sea. He served on the Sail Training Association schooner Sir Winston Churchill after the war as ship’s doctor and as a member of the crew. Some holidays were spent as a doctor on the British India Line cruise ships in the Mediterranean and to St Lucia. He was a member of the Sussex Yacht Club and sailed his own boat around the south coast and across the Channel. He was a keen gardener and created a small vineyard which produced enjoyable wine. A long-standing interest in woodwork was enhanced by being presented with a lathe on retirement and he became a talented wood turner.
He married Joyce Ladbrook in 1946 and they had a daughter and three sons.
His death followed a long and trying illness, associated towards the end with failing vision. In spite of this he maintained an active interest in paediatrics and his many other activities long after his official retirement.
D W Powell
(Volume X, page 327)
<< Back to List