b.28 October 1908 d.12 September 1955
MB ChB Leeds(1932) MD Leeds(1937) MRCP(1937) FRCP(1950)
Ian Macpherson, a descendant of the Macphersons of Corrachree, Tarland, Aberdeenshire, was born in York, the son of James Macpherson, M.A., a teacher, and Hannah Jane Macpherson. He was educated at Archbishop Holgate’s Grammar School, York, and gained a county major scholarship in May 1926 to the Leeds Medical School. In 1932 he was appointed house surgeon to H. S. Collinson and P. J. Moir, in 1934-5 house physician to W. Mac-Adam at St. Luke’s Hospital, Halifax, and in 1935-6 demonstrator in pathology in the University of Leeds. From 1936 to 1938 he was resident medical officer at St. James’s Hospital, Leeds, and thereafter to the outbreak of war resident medical officer and then medical tutor at Leeds General Infirmary.
As he had joined the Territorial Army in 1938 he was mobilised in September 1939. He was soon appointed medical specialist to the 18th General Hospital and served in France in 1940. He served for nearly three years in Malta as medical specialist, and later was officer-in-charge of the medical division of the First General Hospital on the Canal in the rank of lieutenant-colonel. In 1945 he returned to Leeds and in 1946 was elected to the staff of the General Infirmary as assistant physician. There his interests were at first in the applications of biochemistry to clinical problems, but later he developed an interest in cardiology. He was a fine sportsman and an agreeable colleague. In 1940 he married Marie Jones, of Accrington, Lancs, a nurse at the Leeds General Infirmary. They had one daughter and two sons. He died in tragic circumstances at the age of forty-six.
Richard R Trail
[Brit.med.J., 1955, 2, 855; Yorkshire Evening Post, 13 (p), 26 Sept. 1955.]
(Volume V, page 262)
<< Back to List