b.30 January 1918 d.22 July 1987
MB BS Lond(1942) MRCP(1949) MD(1950) DCH(1950) FRCP(1972)
Jack Macaulay was born in Hong Kong where his father was serving in the RAMC. Hugh Montague Cameron Macaulay CBE became one of the great figures in community medicine and was the first senior administrative medical officer of the North-West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. His mother, Julia Garner, came from a farming family.
Macaulay was educated at Merchant Taylor’s School, Northwood, and St Bartholomew’s Hospital. After house appointments at the Central Middlesex Hospital he joined the Royal Navy, serving as a surgeon lieutenant RNVR in destroyers in the western approaches and later in the far east. He was particularly delighted to have been in the first RN squadron to re-enter Hong Kong after the Japanese surrender. After demobilization he became registrar to Sir Francis Avery Jones at the Central Middlesex. His paediatric training started at Hillingdon Hospital, and he later became house physician and then registrar at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street. He completed his training as chief assistant to the children’s department at St Thomas’s Hospital.
Jack Macaulav took up his appointment as the first consultant paediatrician in Shrewsbury early in 1952. The two children’s wards were in an old isolation hospital some 2½ miles from the Royal Salop Infirmary. He quickly appreciated that to achieve a better service it was essential to become involved in administration. He later became the chairman of the hospital medical committee, and was an active member of the hospital management committee for many years. In less than 10 years the children’s wards had moved to their present site in the refurbished military hospital at Copthorne. The battles which, at that time, had to be fought for children in a general hospital were won with tact and skill. He realized the need for services to the handicapped and was the district paediatrician on the Carnegie Committee for Services to Handicapped Children in the early 1960s. He was also visiting paediatrician to the Condover Hall School for the Blind.
In 1943 Macaulay married Sylvia Grace, daughter of the Rev Henry Edward Dodd, and they had two sons and a daughter; Anthony, Angus, and Gail.
Jack Macaulay was well liked and respected by his patients, their parents and his staff. He was not an easy colleague, being at times prickly and jealous of his department. He had few close friends, none of them on the staff of the hospital. His great loves were salmon and trout fishing, and rough shooting. He was an amusing raconteur, and a shrewd judge of men.
During the first half of Jack’s time in Shrewsbury he lived in the centre of the town, inside the duodenal loop of the River Severn. He later moved to Longnor, a village near the Stretton Hills, where he and Sylvia became interested in arboriculture.
Cutting his links with paediatrics, he became president of his local branch of the British Legion, and was one of the founders of the Shropshire Nightingale Nursing Fund. Unusually, at the time of his retirement both his parents were alive. He died at Longnor.
(Volume VIII, page 298)
<< Back to List