b.25 November 1909 d.16 February 1997
Kt(1974) MB ChB Sheffield (1934) DMR(1938) FFR(1946) Hon FCRA(1963) Hon FFR RCSI(1965) FRCP(1967) FRCS(1967) Sheffield(1985)
As a consultant radiologist and lecturer in Sheffield Tommy Lodge was an important contributor to the development of radiology and diagnostic imaging in the immediate post war years. He was born in the city into the family of a cutlery manufacturer and was brought up and educated in Sheffield, attending the Central School, although he spent a few years at St. Elizabeth’s preparatory school, Hereford. He went on to Sheffield University Medical School, qualifying in 1934. He undertook junior house physician and house surgeon posts at the Sheffield Royal Hospital during 1934 and 1935. He then took clinical assistant posts in radiology at the Sheffield Radium Centre between 1936 and 1937 and at the Manchester Royal Infirmary from 1937 to 1939, obtaining the diploma in medical radiology in 1938. He also spent some time in general practice during this period before obtaining his fellowship of the Faculty of Radiologists, Royal College of Surgeons, in 1946 and being appointed as an honorary radiologist at the Royal Sheffield Infirmary and Hospital in the same year. Subsequently he was appointed consultant radiologist, United Sheffield Hospitals in 1948. He was later appointed clinical lecturer to the University of Sheffield. He retired in 1974.
During his career he gained a reputation as a highly respected radiologist and was often asked for advice on a range of radiological and other matters. Although he specialized in paediatric radiology, he had wide interests, publishing many papers, chapters and several books in relation to radiology in general and its application to paediatric, musculo-skeletal and respiratory medicine. He was awarded the Twining medal of the Faculty of Radiologists in 1945 for a monograph on the radiological anatomy of blood vessels of the human lung, which provided a basis for the development of many of our current concepts of the radiology of heart and lung disease. He was the Knox lecturer to the Faculty in 1962 when his topic was on the use of radiology in the management of paraplegia.
His enthusiasm, ability and drive did much to stimulate and enthuse a generation of trainee radiologists who came through Sheffield during this time, many of whom went on to shape British radiology over the next few decades. The Shadows Radiological Visiting Club and the Radiologists Visiting Club had their origins in Sheffield during this era and Tommy was an honoured member of both of them, continuing to attend meetings up to his death. In addition to his clinical practice and teaching in Sheffield, he also influenced the development of British radiology through his role as an advisor to the DHSS between 1965 and 1974 and through his work for the Faculty of Radiologists, where he served in many capacities including president (1963 to 1966) and honorary editor of its journal, Clinical Radiology (1954 to 1959).
His professional standing in British medicine and radiology in particular was well recognized and rewarded by a host of honours and awards. These included honorary fellowships of the Royal Australasian College of Radiologists in 1963 and of the Faculty of Radiologists of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland in 1965. He was appointed knight bachelor in the New Year’s honours list of 1974. He was awarded an honorary doctorate of medicine by the University of Sheffield in 1985 and was also honoured by the award of the gold medal of the Royal College of Radiologists in the same year.
In his home life, as in his professional life, he had an inexhaustible ability to listen to individuals at all levels and to make them feel that he understood their position, even though he may not be able to agree with them. He also had an excellent memory for names, faces and events; frequently surprising people with his recall of their careers and families.
Outside radiology, Tommy was a keen sportsman, obtaining colours from Sheffield University at cricket and swimming; he continued to play cricket for local clubs for many years. He also enjoyed fishing when he had the opportunity.
He married Aileen Corduff in 1940 and they remained happily married for 50 years, until Aileen’s death in 1990. They had two children, both of whom subsequently developed successful professional careers. The family lived at Grove Road in Sheffield for many years and, during the war, cared for and entertained many members of their immediate and extended family in a wide variety of ways. Then and afterwards they were always generous with their time, advice and money. They moved to Bamford in 1963 and then to Brighton after he had retired in 1974. After Aileen's death he moved to a smaller flat in Hove.
In later years his health deteriorated somewhat but despite this he maintained a lively interest in the development of imaging techniques and often travelled from Brighton to attend meetings and keep in touch with colleagues and friends. During this time he was a founder member of the Radiological Heritage Trust, contributing his knowledge of the earlier history of radiology and his own experiences of the middle years. He was a committed Christian and it was fitting that his final sudden collapse should occur whilst attending mass with his daughter in Kensington, London.
P L Allan
[The Times, 13 Mar 1997]
(Volume X, page 303)
<< Back to List