b.20 October 1873 d.21 January 1938
BA Cantab(1895) MA DSc Lond(1898) BCh Cantab(1900) MB Cantab(1902) MD Cantab FRCP(1909)
O. F. F. Grünbaum, who changed his name to Leyton in 1915, was born in London, the younger son of Joseph Grünbaum, merchant, a naturalised British subject, and his wife Delia Frankau. He was educated at the City of London School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he gained first-class honours in both parts of the natural sciences tripos and graduated as B.A. in 1895. He studied medicine at St. George’s Hospital and took the London degree of D.Sc. in 1898, the Cambridge B.Ch. in 1900 and the Cambridge M.B. in 1902. He filled house appointments at the West London and the London Hospitals, and acted as pathologist to King’s College Hospital and as assistant physician to the Belgrave Hospital for Children and the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. Then, in 1905, he was elected to the staff of the London Hospital, where he remained till his death, lecturing first on pharmacology and, after 1929, on therapeutics. His chief scientific interest was in the problems of metabolism, and a monograph that he published on The Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus in 1917 went through five editions. He greeted the discovery of insulin with enthusiasm and started its manufacture at the London Hospital before it became generally available. He was also the first in the Hospital to employ modern methods of blood transfusion. Personally Leyton was a reserved man, meticulous in speech and habit, and difficult to know. He married Doris Catherine M’Phail, by whom he had a son and a daughter.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1938; B.M.J., 1938; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1938, 12; Al.Cantab., iii, 167]
(Volume IV, page 502)
<< Back to List