b.19 June 1888 d.12 November 1958
MC(1916) MA Cantab(1910) MB BCh Cantab(1914) MD Cantab(1919) MRCS LRCP(1913) MRCP(1934) FRCP(1944)
Frank Lescher was born at Hampstead, London, the son of Frank Harwood Lescher, a director of the Chemical Manufacturing Company, and Mary O’Conor Graham Grehan. He was educated at Stonyhurst, Caius College, Cambridge, and St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. Following a house post at his parent hospital, he joined the R.A.M.C, in 1914 and did distinguished service as major in charge of a field ambulance. It was this work that he chose as the subject of his M.D. thesis, which he completed while a prisoner of war.
In 1920 he entered general practice in Derby, but turned to consulting practice after his appointment to the staff of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, and was soon recognised as a sound general physician with a special interest in neurology. He published a number of valuable papers. In his later years he gave good service to the Derby City and Ripley Cottage Hospitals and to the Burton Royal Infirmary, and took a great interest in the Derby Medical Society and the East Midlands Society of Physicians, of which he was a president.
He was a regular attender at the meetings of the British Medical Association, for which he acted as secretary, and later as chairman and president of the Derbyshire branch. In World War II he was group medical officer of the Emergency Medical Service in Derby. In his later years he was a keen fisherman.
In 1918 he married Bridget Llewellyn, daughter of a solicitor. They had two daughters.
Richard R Trail
[Brit.med.J., 1958, 2, 1360; Lancet, 1958, 2, 1237.]
(Volume V, page 244)
<< Back to List