b.1803 d.8 November 1872
BA Cantab(1826) MA(1829) BM Oxon(1840) DM(1840) FRCP(1847) FRS(1849)
Henry Leeson’s father, Robert Leeson, was an attorney at Nottingham. Leeson himself went to school at King’s Cliffe, Northamptonshire, Hammersmith, and Repton. From 1822 to 1826, the year of his B.A. degree, he was a scholar of Caius College, Cambridge. It is not known what occupation he pursued in the nine years following his graduation as M.A. in 1829. However, in 1838, he was incorporated at Trinity College, Oxford, and, two years afterwards, proceeded to the Oxford degrees of B.M. and D.M. He practised in Greenwich subsequently and served as assistant physician (1840-45) and physician (1845-52) on the staff of St. Thomas’s Hospital, where he also taught chemistry and forensic medicine, being dean of the Medical School in his last two years there (1851-52). He was made an F.R.S. in 1849. He retired from London to the Isle of Wight in 1854. Leeson married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Sutton, in 1827. He died at Ventnor.
G H Brown
[Biog.Hist.of Caius College, ii, 185; Al.Oxon., iii, 833; Parsons, iii, 126]
(Volume IV, page 46)
<< Back to List