Lives of the fellows

Daniel John Leech

b.January 1840 d.2 July 1900
MB Lond(1868) MD Hon DSc Vict MRCS LSA FRCP(1882)

D. J. Leech was born at Urmston near Manchester, the second son of Thomas Leech, a doctor. He was educated at Owens College and apprenticed to a practitioner in Manchester, and studied at the Royal School of Medicine, qualifying in 1861. A visit to Paris was followed in 1862 by his appointment as demonstrator of anatomy in the School, but in 1864 he made further clinical studies at St. Mary’s Hospital, London, and then settled in general practice in Manchester for a few years; he proceeded to the London M.B. degree in 1868. In 1870, however, he obtained the post of physician to the Hulme Dispensary and three years later was appointed assistant physician to the Manchester Royal Infirmary, where he became full physician in 1878 and consulting physician a year before he died. He was also physician to the Manchester and Salford Hospital for Skin Diseases and the Cancer Hospital, both of which he helped to establish, in 1885 and 1892 respectively. He was made joint lecturer on materia medica and therapeutics at Owens College in 1876 and professor of the same subjects in 1881, and took a leading part in organising the medical faculty of Victoria University. After 1891, he represented the latter on the General Medical Council, of whose Pharmacopoeia Committee he acted as chairman. Public health was a subject that interested him deeply, and, as secretary of the Manchester and Salford Sanitary Association between 1870 and 1873 he drew attention to the dangers of river pollution, food and milk adulteration, contamination by smoke, and inadequate housing. He delivered the Croonian Lectures at the Royal College of Physicians in 1893. His wife was a daughter of James Maclaren of Whalley Range; there were no children of the marriage.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1900; B.M.J., 1900]

(Volume IV, page 289)

<< Back to List