Lives of the fellows

Gordon Ormsby Lambert

b.20 July 1877 d.26 January 1947
BA Cantab(1898) MB Cantab(1901) MD Cantab(1906) MRCP(1933) FRCP(1942)

Gordon Lambert, the son of Frederick Algernon Sydney Lambert, a Government official, and Ida Olivia Klein, was born in British Guiana. He was educated at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and Charing Cross Hospital, to which he won a University exhibition. Following resident posts at Charing Cross, the Victoria Hospital for Children, and the Gravesend General Hospital, where he was resident medical officer,he set up in general practice in Reading about 1904. In 1913 he became medical registrar to the Royal Berkshire Hospital and in the same year was selected by his fellow practitioners to be its assistant physician. Ten years later he became full physician, and on his retirement in 1942 was appointed consultant, but remained in charge of the department of cardiology in which he had maintained a special interest since 1930. By then Lambert had become a link between the old and the new in the staffing and administration of the Hospital, which he wished to see with the larger bed complement that would provide more opportunities for private patients to have the necessary modern investigations.

From 1935 he was a governor of Reading School, and in 1936 was elected to the Town Council. As chairman of the Health Committee he took a particular interest in the welfare of the blind, but the increasing pressure of hospital and private practice compelled him to resign in 1940. He was president of the Reading Pathological Society in 1931 and 1938; he gave its Centenary oration in 1941. He was also president of the Reading division of the British Medical Association, 1931-2. He appears to have had no interests outside medicine.

Lambert is remembered as a small, stooping figure, with a wizened face and a gentlemanly bearing. He was very hardworking and always helpful to his colleagues; the surgical staff valued his opinions. At the bedside he was solemn and humourless, but kind and considerate. His prescriptions were ‘monumental’, written in full in Latin and in a very neat hand. He died in the village of Bucklebury, to which he had recently retired.

Richard R Trail

[Brit.med.J., 1947, 1, 356; Lancet, 1947, 1, 310.]

(Volume V, page 237)

<< Back to List