b.1851 d.21 January 1942
BA Oxon(1873) BM(1878) MA DM MRCS FRCP(1885)
Percy Kidd, eldest son of Dr. Joseph Kidd of Blackheath and a member of a well-known medical family, distinguished himself as an athlete when at Uppingham. At Balliol College, Oxford, he took a first class in natural science in 1873. He went on to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital and graduated as B.M. in 1878, in which year he was awarded a Radcliffe travelling fellowship, which enabled him to visit Strasbourg and Vienna. He then held the usual junior appointments at St. Bartholomew’s and was elected to the staffs of the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest in 1880 and the Brompton Hospital in 1881; he became full physician to the latter in 1893. In 1890 he was elected assistant physician, and in 1899 physician, to the London Hospital; he was also demonstrator of anatomy there from 1891 to 1894, lecturer on general pathology from 1895 to 1898 and lecturer on medicine from 1898 to 1908. He became consulting physician in 1906. He examined in medicine for his own University, as well as for Cambridge and Durham. At the Royal College of Physicians, where he was a Censor, he gave the Lumleian Lectures in 1912 and the Harveian Oration in 1918. He contributed articles on chest complaints to Fowler’s and Quain’s Dictionaries and to Allbutt’s System of Medicine as well as to medical periodicals. "P.K.", as he was known, was a physician of the old school, skilled in the use of the stethoscope. A handsome man, he was handicapped by a certain shyness. Salmon fishing, golf and music were his recreations. He married in 1881 Gertrude, daughter of Major-General T. B. Harrison, and had three sons. When he died at Chalfont St. Giles, in his ninety-first year, he was the senior Fellow but one in the College List.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1942; B.M.J., 1942; London Hospital Gazette, 1941-42, xl, 77; Al.Oxon., ii, 792]
(Volume IV, page 303)
<< Back to List