b.5 April 1857 d.4 April 1915
BA Cantab(1879) MD MRCS FRCP(1894)
Henry Lewis Jones was born at Sheerness, the son of Rev. Henry Jones, R.N. He was educated at Shrewsbury and Caius College, Cambridge, where he was Tancred student and obtained first-class honours in the natural sciences tripos of 1879. He qualified at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1881 and then took employment as a ship’s surgeon for some two years. On returning to London he passed through the usual junior appointments at his own Hospital and held one, in addition, at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, Rochester. For a time he acted as physician to the Metropolitan Dispensary and as assistant physician to the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. In 1891 he was appointed medical officer in charge of the electrical department at St. Bartholomew’s, London; in his twenty-one years in this post, he transformed a minor, almost neglected, branch of the Hospital into a first-class, well-equipped department. Himself an able physicist and an Associate of the Institute of Electrical Engineers, he introduced the ionic method of medication, diathermy, and effective means of testing muscular reaction. His textbook on Medical Electricity (1892), originally written in collaboration with W. E. Steavenson, was the standard work on the subject and appeared in a seventh edition in 1918. By his caution in defining and limiting the legitimate fields of electrical treatment, Lewis Jones saved it from much unscientific exploitation. He was indeed both the founder and the leading exponent of the English school of electro-therapy. Outside his work he loved the sea and sailing, and, a keen gardener, cultivated rare plants in the garden of his country home at Bradford-on-Avon. He married in 1896 a daughter of Count H. H. von Platen-Hallermund and had one son.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1915; B.M.J., 1915; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1916, 14; Al.Cantab., iii, 600]
(Volume IV, page 371)
<< Back to List