b.24 March 1910 d.10 August 1977
MRCS LRCP(1934) MB BS Lond(1934) MRCP(1943) FRCP(1969)
Ernest Grahame Jones, the eldest son of Thomas Ernest Jones, a pharmacist, was born in Pontypridd, Glamorgan, in the Rhondda Valley. He was educated in Pontypridd, and from the Pontypridd Grammar School went to St Bartholomew’s Hospital, where he obtained both the Conjoint qualification and also the London degree in 1934, the latter with a distinction in medicine.
He returned to Wales and worked as a resident first at St David’s Hospital, Cardiff, then called the City Lodge, and later at Llandough Hospital, Penarth.
For the next three years, he was in general practice, first at Llanishen, and later in Lampeter in Cardiganshire. Grahame Jones volunteered for military service in 1939 and served with the RAMC, but was invalided out in 1941.
Following his discharge he studied for membership, which he obtained in 1943, and worked for a while as assistant lecturer in pathology at the Welsh National School of Medicine. In 1944 he was appointed as the first consultant physician at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport, at which time few of the visiting staff were engaged solely in specialist practice; the majority combined general practice and a surgical hospital practice.
Other appointments followed, and at the time of the inception of the National Health Service he became consultant physician to the Newport and East Monmouthshire Hospital Management Committee, working both at the Royal Gwent Hospital and at the Griffithstown County Hospital.
His hospital duties were combined with a busy practice in which he was helped by his wife, Hilary Naunton Davies, whom he had married in 1939.
He was essentially a general physician whose main interest was in clinical bed-side medicine, but he had a special interest in cardiology and produced papers in 1957 and 1958 on hypercholesterolaemia and xanthomatosis.
He undertook committee work in the local hospitals; prior to the 1974 reorganization he had been a member of the hospital management committee and chairman of the hospital medical staff committee. Following reorganization he was both chairman of the medical division and of the medical executive committee. He looked upon hospital administration as part of his work in the interest of patients, but did not partake greatly in British Medical Association medico-political matters. He was also at one time chairman of the Society of Physicians of Wales and of the Gwent Medical Society.
His first wife died in 1964. He remarried in 1970 Dr Megan Richards, the widow of RD Richards FRCS, who had been a surgical colleague in Newport. He had two sons by the first marriage, the elder being an accountant practising in London, the younger being an administrator in the National Health Service.
Grahame Jones was one of that group of consultants who were responsible for the starting of consultant hospital medicine in the provinces, who adhered to a work ethos and set the high clinical standards to be found in today’s National Health Service.
[Brit.med.J., 1977, 2, 1485; Lancet, 1977, 2, 1142]
(Volume VII, page 305)
<< Back to List