b.24 February 1901 d.10 June 1979
MB BS Lond(1924) MD(1927) MRCP(1927) DPH(1929) FRCP(1953) Hon LLD Wales(1970)
Alan Trevor Jones was a man of outstanding breadth of vision and far-sightedness. Qualifying in London in the mid 1920’s, and returning to Wales in 1929, he was struck by the low standards of health, and health care generally, in Wales in this period of poverty and unemployment. During his subsequent professional career he laboured unceasingly to attempt to correct this through the successive administrative appointments that he held in the health service and in the University of Wales.
A native of Glamorganshire, he was born and educated at Pengam, where his father was headmaster of Lewis School. Having completed his preclinical training at the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire in Cardiff, he then proceeded to University College, London, for his clinical training, where he was fortunate in becoming houseman to Sir Thomas Lewis. From the outset of his career he began to develop an interest in administration and in public health. After being medical officer of health in Carmarthen he joined the staff of the Welsh Board of Health as medical officer. Two years later he was appointed hospital officer for Wales under the Emergency Medical Services scheme. After the war he helped to produce the hospital survey of South Wales and Monmouthshire [Survey of Hospital Services of South Wales (1945)] later becoming medical officer to the newly-established Welsh Hospital Board.
Recognising the vital importance for Wales of training more doctors, he became increasingly interested in the work of the medical school in Cardiff, and was appointed to the provostship of the school in 1955. His contribution to the administrative field of academic medicine in Wales was truly great, and his efforts were crowned with success in 1971 with the opening of the new medical teaching centre in Cardiff combining the Welsh National School of Medicine and the University Hospital of Wales on one site.
He had the ability immediately to make contact with new acquaintances, as a result of his sympathetic approach, his kindliness and his lively sense of humour. He was particularly good at encouraging the younger man entering medicine, both among undergraduates and postgraduates. He retired from the provostship and from the General Medical Council in 1969, but continued to serve as a member of the Board of Governors and later of the Hospital Management Committee for a number of years.
Alan was survived by his wife, Gwyn, a daughter who qualified as a nurse, a son who had become a consultant paediatrician, and a grandson also in medicine.
[Brit.med.J., 1979, 1, 1788; Lancet, 1979, 1, 1358]
(Volume VII, page 302)
<< Back to List