b.14 July 1784 d.17 January 1860
MD St And(1805) FRCPE(1810) Ex LRCP(1814)
James Proud Johnson, M.D., was the son of James Johnson, esq., of Monksfield, co. Montgomery, by his second wife, Susannah, the only surviving daughter of Joseph Proud, esq., of Bilston, co. Stafford, and was born 14th July, 1784. He was created doctor of medicine by the university of St. Andrew’s 23rd September, 1805, and was admitted a Fellow of the College of Physicians of Edinburgh 6th November, 1810. He was admitted an Extra-Licentiate of the College of Physicians of London 3rd October, 1814, at which time he was practising at Shrewsbury.
Dr. Johnson was appointed physician to the Salop infirmary in 1814, and retained that office for a quarter of a century, resigning it in 1839 and in 1841 withdrawing from the practice of his profession. He was high sheriff of Montgomeryshire in 1836 and was a magistrate for that county and for Salop. He died at Brussels on the 17th January, 1860.
(Volume III, page 128)
<< Back to List