b.19 August 1915 d.14 November 1979
MA Cantab(1940) MRCS LRCP(1940) MB BChir(1946) MRCP(1948) FRCP(1972)
John Harry Jacobs was born in London, the son of Nathaniel Jacobs, a company director, and Ann Nancy, daughter of John Abrahams, a manufacturer. He was educated at University College School, Hampstead, and the University of Cambridge. He qualified in medicine at St Thomas’s Hospital with the Conjoint in 1940, graduating MB BChir in 1946. The period between the Conjoint and his graduation was covered by service in the RAF during the second world war. He held the rank of squadron leader and was mentioned in despatches. On demobilization he decided to specialise in rheumatology and was senior registrar in the rheumatology unit at St Stephen’s Hospital, Chelsea, from 1948 to 1952.
From 1952 to 1956 he was first assistant physician in the department of rheumatology and physical medicine at the Royal Free Hospital. In 1955 he was appointed consultant in charge of the department of physical medicine and rheumatology at the North Middlesex Hospital, where he remained until he retired in 1975. He was a member of the Advisory Committee of the North East Regional Board on physical medicine and neurophysiology.
Ill health obliged him to give up his hospital work nine months before his official retirement, but he later did part-time sessional work at Kingston and Ealing, up to the time of his death.
Harry Jacobs was an active member of the Thames Sailing Club, serving both as secretary and commodore. His other interests outside medicine were music and gardening. He never married.
Sir Gordon Wolstenholme
[Brit.med.J., 1980, 280, 1233]
(Volume VII, page 299)
<< Back to List