b.12 April 1915 d.4 December 1989
MB ChB Leeds(1938) MD(1942) MRCP(1949) FRCP(1970)
Eric Jackson was born in Kidderminster, the son of an engineer, and his mother Hilda, née Nichols, was the daughter of an engineer. He was educated at Heckmondwike Grammar School and the Leeds Medical School, where he graduated with honours and was awarded the Hardwick prize in clinical medicine. In 1942 he obtained his MD with distinction and married Elizabeth Gordon, née Simpson, also the daughter of an engineer. They had a daughter, Elizabeth, and a son, David, who is a medical consultant.
Having been rejected for National Service on medical grounds, he was appointed house physician at the General Infirmary at Leeds and was subsequently assistant resident medical officer at Halifax General Hospital and resident medical officer at St James’s Hospital, Leeds. In 1948 he was appointed consultant physician to St James’s Hospital and Leeds and Clayton Hospital, Wakefield. He gained his membership of the College in 1949 and in 1963 became clinical lecturer in the University of Leeds.
Eric Jackson was an astute diagnostician and a careful physician, as well as being an excellent bedside teacher. Although his main interest was in clinical medicine, he believed in the active involvement of medical staff in hospital management. He ultimately gave up his Private consulting practice to spend more time on this aspect of his hospital commitments, in which ne found great fulfilment.
Jackson was a founder member of the Leeds (A) Group hospital management committee and remained a member in 1970 when the name was changed to Leeds (St James) University Hospital management committee and the hospital was designated a medical undergraduate teaching hospital. He was for many years chairman of the medical advisory committee of the Leeds(A) Group and later of its medical executive committee. He was also a member of the Leeds regional hospital board for many years and chairman of its specialist advisory committee. From 1961-71 he was a member of the board of governors of the United Leeds Hospitals, which included the Leeds General Infirmary. He was also a member of the British Medical Association and served as chairman of the Leeds division.
Eric Jackson was quiet and modest, but he was also a man of shrewd judgement. He was dedicated to the cause of St James’s Hospital to which he contributed more than any other single member of the medical staff over a period of three decades. He made an immense contribution to the rebuilding and expansion of the hospital and its ultimate establishment as a teaching hospital.
In his spare time he was a knowledgeable and enthusiastic gardener and also enioyed reading, travel and solving mathematical problems. Sadly, he suffered a severe stroke in 1984. W Sefton Suffern
(Volume IX, page 258)
<< Back to List