Lives of the fellows

George Herbert Hunt

b.9 April 1884 d.9 January 1926
BA Oxon(1906) BM BCh(1910) MA DM FRCP(1919)

Herbert Hunt was the son of George Stratford Hunt, a merchant, of Chislehurst and his wife Adeline Mary, daughter of Dr. Harvey Williams of Oswestry, and a nephew of George Oliver, F.R.C.P, of Harrogate. As a boy he spent four years at Rugby, before going up to Christ Church, Oxford, in 1902 to read natural science. There he graduated as B.A. four years later and began research work on nitrogen excretion following nephrectomy. After three years at Guy’s Hospital as a student, he took his B.M, B.Ch, degrees in 1910. A number of appointments on the junior staff preceded his election as assistant physician in 1913; in that year he also received charge of the massage department. In the 1914—1918 War he served in France, at the Royal Military Hospital, Devonport, and at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, reaching the rank of brevet major. Hunt, who had previously interested himself in cardiology, was one of the first to describe trench fever and assisted Barcroft in his researches on gas poisoning. He was elected full physician at Guy’s in 1925, shortly before his promising career was cut short by a fatal illness. A modest and lovable man, Hunt was a gifted musician and a competent golf and tennis player. He married in 1915 Rosie Strauss and had two daughters.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1926; B.M.J., 1926; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1926, 40]

(Volume IV, page 565)

<< Back to List