Lives of the fellows

Henry Marshall Hughes

b.1805 d.21 Oct 1858
MD Glasg MRCS LSA FRCP(1844)

In his youth, H. M. Hughes, third son of Edward Hughes of Ashford, was articled to a general practitioner in Maidstone before entering Guy’s Hospital as a student in 1827. Having qualified in 1829, he studied for the degree of M.D. at Glasgow. He returned to London in 1832 and started to practise in the Borough. From 1836 to 1843 he was physician to the Surrey Dispensary. In 1840 he was made assistant physician, and in 1854 full physician, to Guy’s Hospital. He was a Censor of the Royal College of Physicians. Hughes was an authority on diseases of the lung and heart and wrote a handbook entitled Clinical Introduction to the Practice of Auscultation (1845), which was regarded as useful at the time, although superseded before long. He contributed many papers, chiefly on thoracic disease, to medical journals, As a teacher, he was enthusiastic and persevering. Chronic eczema, however, made him irritable, fussy and excitable. In dress he was an eccentric, wearing a light tie and dress coat over short lavender-coloured trousers, white stockings and white shoes. He was unmarried.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1858; Wilks and Bettany, 242]

(Volume IV, page 36)

<< Back to List