b.28 April 1928 d.6 October 1997
MB ChB Liverp(1948) MRCP(1952) MD(1958) FRCP(1973)
Bill Howel Evans was a consultant physician at Walton Hospital and the New Fazakerley Hospital in Liverpool. He was born in the city, where his father was a consultant pathologist at the Royal Infirmary. His mother, Sarah Florence, was the daughter of Alfred Capper, a shipper based in Northwich in Cheshire.
He was educated at Liverpool College and qualified from Liverpool University in 1948. He went on to a post as a house physician at the David Lewis Northern Hospital, Liverpool. Immediately following this he served as a regimental medical officer in the Nigerian Regiment from 1949 to 1951. He eventually became a senior registrar in medicine at Liverpool Royal Infirmary (from 1957 to 1960) and later at the David Lewis Northern Hospital (from 1960 to 1962), before his consultant appointment at the Walton Hospital in 1962. His main clinical interests were in the genetic aspects of thyroid disease.
In 1957 he married Diana Margaret, daughter of Robert McIntosh Mackean, a general practitioner. They had two children but he was widowed when she died tragically in 1978 of leukaemia. He later became consultant physician at the New Fazakerley Hospital in 1975 where he consulted in the thyroid and lipid clinics with D Sykes and C Van Heyningen. He had a great interest in postgraduate education and was actively involved in the development of the postgraduate centre at Walton Hospital of which he eventually became president. He also took a keen interest in the Liverpool Medical School and became very involved in medical student selection.
In his leisure time he was a keen music lover and painter and a member of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Society. He was elected FRSA for his watercolours. He continued to paint after his retirement in 1990. He published a book on the Mawddach estuary, paintings of his favourite part of Wales.
Lesley H Rees
(Volume X, page 231)
<< Back to List