b.26 December 1888 d.27 February 1954
BA Cantab(1910) MB BCh Cantab(1915) MA Cantab(1919) MD Cantab(1923) MRCS LRCP(1914) MRCP(1920) FRCP(1933)
Theo Hoskin, a godson of Edward Jenner, was born in London to Theophilus Hoskin, J. P., a general practitioner in Amhurst Park, and Mildred Vernon, daughter of Edward Chichester, a gentleman of independent means, of London. He was educated at Charterhouse, Trinity College, Cambridge, and the Middlesex Hospital, and a year after taking the conjoint qualification joined the R.A.M.C. He served in Egypt, Gallipoli and in German East and German West Africa, where he commanded a 1,500-bedded hospital in the rank of acting-major.
In 1919, while working as a medical officer to the Ministry of Pensions, he was clinical assistant to Theodore Thompson at Great Ormond Street Hospital and to Strickland Goodall at the National Heart Hospital. The following year he was appointed physician to Queen Mary’s Hospital for the East End, and in 1924 physician-in-charge of the cardiac department of the Royal Free Hospital. He was elected to the staff of St. Paul’s Hospital for Genito-Urinary Disease in 1925 and, a few years later to that of the Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital in Gray’s Inn Road.
Hoskin was one of the leading cardiologists of his day, an astute clinician, and one of the first to recognise the value of the electrocardiograph. To become his house physician at the Royal Free was considered an honour. Always cheerful, and with an incredible memory for faces and names, he was held in high respect by every student. His advice was always direct and clear, tempered with an intuitive psychological understanding of the needs of the individual patient.
Although he seemed fully occupied with his large practice, his memberships of the Association of Physicians, the Hunterian Society, and the Medical Society of London, of which he was president in 1948, and with his work in hospitals and as an examiner for the Conjoint Board, he somehow found time to be a Liveryman of the Skinners Company, and to serve on the Court of the Worshipful Company of Makers of Playing Cards up to the position of Master. At the College he was a Councillor in 1953.
He was an ardent collector of stamps and antique furniture, and enjoyed the theatre, golf and travel. In 1920 he married Mary June Finlay, daughter of William Stewart, a timber merchant, of Glasgow, by whom he had two daughters and one son.
Richard R Trail
[Brit. Heart J., 1954, 16, 324-5 (p); Brit.med.J., 1954, 1, 651-2 (p); Lancet, 1954, 1, 524 (p); Times, 1, 12 Mar. 1954.]
(Volume V, page 201)
<< Back to List