b.26 October 1839 d.26 March 1922
BA Cantab(1863) MB(1867) MA MD FRCP(1876)
William Hollis was born at Lewisham, the son of Dr. William Mellet Hollis, J.P, and was sent to school at Brighton College. At Trinity College, Cambridge,he read classics and graduated as B.A. in 1863. He studied for his medical career at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, proceeding to his M.B. degree in 1867, and afterwards obtained a number of junior appointments there and one at the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. He practised first in London, being physician to the Chelsea, Brompton and Belgrave Dispensary, but moved to Brighton in 1874, his application for the post of assistant physician at St. Bartholomew’s having failed. He was long connected with the Royal Sussex County Hospital as assistant physician, physician and consulting physician, and acted as president of the B.M.A. in 1913. His practice was never large, for he had many outside interests. He supported the local medical and natural history societies, and he had a fine collection of British lepidoptera which he presented to Hove public library. He was one of the Hove Commissioners from 1890 to 1898 and later one of its town councillors. Cactus growing, photography and cycling were also among his hobbies. He married a daughter of Charles Lever and had one son and two daughters.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1922; B.M.J., 1922; Al.Cantab., iii, 418]
(Volume IV, page 241)
<< Back to List