Lives of the fellows

Peverell Smythe Hichens

b.1870 d.28 March 1930
MA DM Oxon MRCS FRCP(1911)

Peverell Hichens was born at Speldhurst, Kent, the second son of Rev. Canon F. Hichens, rector of St. Stephen’s, Canterbury. He was sent to King’s School, Canterbury, and Clifton College, before going on to Magdalen College, Oxford, to complete his education. Having obtained first-class honours in natural science in 1892, he did his hospital training at St. Thomas’s in London. After holding house appointments both there and at the Brompton Hospital, and spending a year as a patient at Nordrach in the Black Forest, where Otto Walther’s methods were beginning to attract notice, he took up the appointment of physician to the General Hospital, Northampton, in 1901 and soon established a successful consulting practice in the neighbourhood. A strong advocate of the open-air treatment of tuberculosis, he was largely responsible for the foundation, in 1909, of the County Sanatorium at Creaton, to which he was himself appointed consulting physician. During the 1914-1918 War he served with the 1st Eastern General Hospital and, after 1915, was in command of a casualty clearing station and the 35th General Hospital in France. Hichens, whose brother was the novelist Robert Hichens, was a keen churchman, with a wide general culture and a slightly pedantic manner. He retired in 1924 to Guernsey, where he died. His wife, whom he married in 1906, was Constance, daughter of Lt.-Col. L. Downes; they had one daughter and one son.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1930; B.M.J., 1930; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1930, 25]

(Volume IV, page 517)

<< Back to List